Ten Ways To Reduce The Risk Of A House Fire

Ten Ways To Reduce The Risk Of A House Fire

A fire in the home is a very bad experience. There are, however, some preventative measure homeowners can take to reduce the risks of fire. Here are 10 of those ways:

  1. Don’t waste money on the special cleaning logs at the grocery store that claim to clean the inside of the chimney, because they don’t work. Instead hire a professional chimney cleaning service that can actually remove the dangerous creosote buildup.
  2. Never leave a fire smoldering when going to bed at night. Always make sure that it’s completely extinguished, otherwise the embers may throw sparks and cause a fire.
  3. Always use a safety screen in front of the fireplace, because wood can crackle and pop while burning, which can send hot embers flying out onto the floor around the hearth.
  4. Don’t throw flammable items like newspapers and wrapping paper onto the burning logs. Even though it’s fun to watch the flames roar and burning paper float around, the risk of spreading the fire to places other than the fireplace is significant.
  5. Outdoor fire pits should be kept at distance from the house. Even though it may mean longer walks back to the kitchen to get more beer or marshmallows, at least you’re more likely to still have a kitchen should something go wrong.
  6. If you’re having trouble getting a fire started, never, EVER use gasoline as a fire starting aid.
  7. Never pile extra wood on top of a burning fire in an effort to avoid getting back up to put more on later. Adding too much fuel to the fire can cause the flames to get out of control, and it may be too hot to approach when it comes time to manage the growing fire.
  8. Even though they cast a soft romantic glow, only burn candles in moderation, and never leave them unattended.
  9. Stove tops and ovens shouldn’t be used as extra storage space, especially gas burning units. The pilot lights burn continuously, and it’s easy to forget there are items in there when turning on the oven to preheat.
  10. Open windows in the kitchen can allow fresh air to blow through, but that breeze can also send paper towels and napkins flying into the open flames of a gas stove top. Keep the windows closed when the fires are lit.

If you have experienced smoke or fire damage  in your Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill / Cary home contact us today. In addition to being restoration specialists we are North Carolina licensed general contractors who can tackle any job.

There are no comments yet, but you can be the first



Comments are closed.